How do I cook well done meat?
Cook a 2cm-thick piece of steak for 2-3 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium, and 5-6 minutes each side for well-done. Turn the steak only once, otherwise it will dry out. Always use tongs to handle steak as they won’t pierce the meat, allowing the juices to escape.
How do you cook safely?
Food safety when cooking
- Cook food properly – to at least 75 °C or hotter.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature of cooked foods.
- If you use a microwave, check that the food is cooked evenly throughout.
- Cook foods made from eggs thoroughly.
- Cool and store cooked food as soon as possible.
Can you cook raw meat with cooked meat?
Never let raw meat, poultry or seafood touch cooked meat or any ready-to-eat foods, as this can cause cross-contamination. Foodborne pathogens from raw meat can easily spread to ready-to-eat foods and cause food poisoning.