Is it faster to boil water with the lid on?
How long does it take to cook 500g Gammon?
Simply cover your gammon joint with your chosen liquid, bring it to the boil and allow to simmer. To work out how long to cook your gammon for, weigh the joint when raw and allow 20 minutes per 450g (1lb), plus an additional 20 minutes.
How long do you boil a 750g smoked gammon joint for?
Place in a large pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 55 minutes – 1 hour. Remove from pan allow to stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy.
How do you cook a 450g Gammon joint?
You’ll need to cook for 20 mins per 450g, plus 20 mins. Put the meat in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, adding any flavourings you may wish (cinnamon, bay, peppercorns, coriander seeds and onion work well).
Is it best to boil or roast a gammon joint?
Should I boil ham before roasting it? To ensure the ham stays moist, it’s best to boil it for half of the cooking time and then finish the cooking in the oven. It is also possible to boil ham for the entirety of the cooking time. But we find ham cooked this way is best served cold.
How long does a 1KG Gammon joint take to cook?
Cooking your Gammon
1. Weigh your meat to calculate cooking times. To work out your cooking time, allow 20 minutes per lb (1lb is 454g). For example for a 1KG gammon it’s going to be 40 minutes.
How long does 750g of gammon take to cook?
Cooking instructions: Oven
Place joint in a roasting tray and cover loosely with foil. Place on the middle shelf of the oven. During cooking: Cook for 1 hour 15 mins.
How long do I boil a ham joint for?
– Bring the water to the boil, when the water boils, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
How do you keep gammon moist?
To stop your gammon from drying out in the oven, or your glaze from burning due to the high sugar content, bring your gammon out and baste every 15-20 minutes to ensure it keeps moist and juicy!
How do you calculate cooking time for a ham?
For example, it takes between 35 and 40 minutes to cook a pound of boneless shoulder roll of a cook-before-eating smoked ham. This means it takes an average of (35 + 40) / 2 = 37.5 minutes to cook a pound of this particular cut. Let’s say we want to cook a pound and a half. We will need 1.5 * 37.5 = 56.25 minutes.
How do you cook a small Gammon joint?
- Weigh your gammon then simply cover your gammon joint with your chosen liquid, spices & aromatic vegetables. Bring it to the boil and allow to simmer.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour 20 minutes until tender & easily pierced with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in the cooking broth before carving or chill.
How long do you boil a 2kg Gammon joint for?
How long to boil gammon joint per kg?
|Gammon joint size||How long to boil||How long to pressure cook|
|1 kg (2.2lb)||45 minutes||25 minutes|
|2 kg (4.4lb)||1 hours 30 minutes||50 minutes|
|3 kg (6.6lb)||2 hour 15 minutes||1 hours 15 minutes|
|4 kg (8.8lb)||3 hours||1 hours 40 minutes|